Friday, September 22, 2006

Initial Concept

You must have heard some success stories of people making money from websites (and blogs) through google adsense content-targetted advertising (there are alternatives to adsense, but it seems to be the current market leader so I'll be sticking to it for now). After hearing such stories myself I had to wonder if I could do it. I have a background in programming, a little website development experience and also a lot of (mostly academic) writing experience. So it seemed like something I might be able to do...

After deciding I wanted to set up a site, the next question of course is what would be the purpose and content of the website? I decided I wanted some interactive content (so I could try my hand at writing some scripts), and also that it would be a comedy/humor kind of thing. I also have an idea for a more standard services-type site, but that's on hold for the time being. After coming up with a few disparate ideas, I hit on a theme. The site is best described by visiting it, but in short it is written from the perspective of a giant squid who is communicating with humans via the internet. Ahem. Yes - you read that correctly. The humor won't be for everyone, but I'm happy with it right now. Regardless of the content - you can see that at present it is a small site with simple design, with a few server side (php) scripts.

My only real advice at this stage of the process (and all subsequent stages) is to write down every half-decent idea when you have it. It doen't matter if you don't have a way draw them all together or to use them immediately.

Next I will turn from initial concept to the first steps of implementation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home